The family of an inspirational nurse who died from organ failure are fighting for answers over his death. Alex Duncan had toxic levels of a heavy metal found in his body when examined by a pathologist.But an investigation failed to establish how the 26-year-old became exposed to cadmium - a substance used to make batteries.
Now Alex’s loved ones have demanded a fresh inquiry to establish how he came into contact with the material. Alex - who worked at Dunfermline’s Queen Margaret Hospital - was found to have 270 units of cadmium in his blood.
The normal level should be below three, medics say. Mum Chris and dad Ian Duncan told how they waited 14 months for results of a probe by Public Health Scotland, NHS Fife and the Crown Office.Read more on dailyrecord.co.uk