Jeremy Hunt Williams Britain social action Parke Bill Jeremy Hunt Williams Britain

New energy petition calls for fixed-rate monthly tariff for older people and those with a disability

Reading now: 991

A new online petition is calling on the UK Government to require all energy firms to offer a fixed monthly rate for older people and those with a disability.

The petition also calls for “no per unit charges for gas and electricity” for those household groups. The ‘Introduce an unmetered monthly tariff for energy for the elderly and disabled’ was created by William Conway and posted on the petitions-parliament website where it has received more than 1,317 signatures of support.

At 10,000 signatures, the UK Government is required to respond to the proposal. The petition follows recent calls by nearly 100 charities and organisations who are collectively calling on the UK Government to introduce a social energy tariff to help low-income and vulnerable, older and disabled households heat their homes this winter.

In an open letter to Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, the group including Age UK, Fair By Design, National Energy Action (NEA) and Scope warns that many older and disabled people, their carers and low-income households, are facing an uncertain future due to unaffordable energy bills during the ongoing cost of living crisis.New research by Age UK suggests strong support for a social energy tariff among the over-60s, with 71 per cent - increasing to 76 per cent of those with a disability - agreeing that a social energy tariff should be available for those who need it most.The findings also indicate that 24 per cent of over-60s are living in homes which are colder than they would like them to be, rising to 27 per cent for older people with a disability.The petition reads: “We want the Government to require energy suppliers to offer a fixed monthly rate, with no per unit charges, for gas and electricity, to elderly and disabled

The website is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News